Andrew Jones, MD, is a board-certified general surgeon with a dedicated interest in the management of venous disease. Dr. Jones was raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He completed medical school at the University of Minnesota Medical School, where he graduated with honors. He then went to Oregon Health and Science University for his general surgery internship and residency and also completed additional training in laparoscopic surgery.
While at OHSU in Portland, Oregon, he won, on multiple occasions, awards for his research. He completed his six year training program from OHSU in 2004. He is board certified by the American Board of Surgery. In addition, Dr. Andrew Jones is certified by the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine and also serves on the International Affairs Committee for the American Vein And Lymphatic Society. He is especially qualified as a vein treatment specialist.
Research and International Outreach
Dr. Jones is dedicated to advancing the cause of patients with venous disease, thus he has been involved extensively in research and international outreach. He was an investigator in several major varicose vein clinical trials, and, as a result, he goes beyond his day to day clinical duties to help advance the care of venous patients. Most noteworthy of these clinical trials is the VeClose trial. VeClose is randomized trial comparing radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of the greater saphenous vein with Venaseal for the treatment of varicose veins. Similarly, he was also an investigator, along in the Vanish-1 trial, a randomized trial evaluating the efficacy of Varithena in the treatment of venous insufficiency. Due to the success of its impact on the practice of vein care, the VeClose trial follow up has been extended to 5 years, and therefore, the team at Inovia® is still participating in this trial.
He is frequently invited to lecture in the United States and Internationally on these subjects. Another of his interests is helping patients in the developing world gain access to cutting edge varicose vein treatments. Furthermore, he often hosts vein surgeons from around the world who travel to learn vein treatment techniques at the Inovia Vein Treatment Centers. Dr. Jones is on the forefront of evaluating the latest and most relevant minimally invasive vein treatment options for our vein patients. Finally, given his international stature as a vein surgeon involved in cutting edge clinical research, he is well poised to see the newest technologies. For this reason he has traveled to Nicaragua with a team of international vein specialists to facilitate care.
- American Board of Surgery (2006)
- American Board of Phlebology (2010)
- American College of Phlebology
- American College of Surgeons
- Oregon Medical Association
- American Venous Forum
Medical and Surgical Training
- Medical Education, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1994-1998
- Research in Esophageal Cancer, Oregon Health and Sciences University, 2001-2002
- General Surgery Residency, Oregon Health and Science University, 1998-2004
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honors Society, University of Minnesota, 1998
Awards and Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honors Society, University of Minnesota , 1998
- Society of Surgeons of the Alimentary Tract Resident Research Award, 2002
- Poster of Distinction, Digestive Disease Week, 2002
- Legacy Emanuel Resident Research Award, 2004
- Walter P. de Groot, MD Clinical Phlebology Fellowship Award for 2008, American College of Phebology foundation
Consequently his patients can count of learning of the latest technologies when they see Dr. Jones. Above all, however, Dr. Jones’ focus is to make sure his patients feel comfortable, informed and well taken care of through their entire journey of treatment. Furthermore, he is constantly seeking for ways to improve access and quality of care. As a result, he strives to continuously improve access care at the Inovia Vein Specialty Clinics, not only at our original clinic in Bend, Oregon, but at our newest clinics in Tigard, Oregon, and Northwest Portland, Oregon.